Fire Guts UniUyo Hostel

Fire Guts UniUyo Hostel

A section of the Man O War lodge in the University of Uyo was gutted by fire at about 7:45am this morning.

The fire outbreak is as a result of a spark from wires connecting electrical appliances that were left on while the students were away. Although no life is lost, properties of tens of students were burnt down.

Governor Udom Emmanuel, who is always apt to respond to the plight of students quickly waded in to give succor to the affected students.


The Governor, who was represented by his Special Assistant on Student Affairs Comrade Aquila Otobong Akpan thanked God for sparing the lives of the hostel occupants, while addressing the students at the scene, he admonished the students to adopt security measures and endeavor to switch off electrical appliances before heading to class.


In response, the Hall Rep appreciated the swift response of the Governor, and assured him of their continuous cooperation with the school authority and the government to ensure a safe, secure and peaceful environment for learning and living.

The affected students were given ‘pocket money’ to help cater for their welfare until renovation is done.

By Nelson NseAbasi

About The Author

Related posts