Teenagers get N1.5m bail over alleged robbery
Three teenagers were on Friday brought before an Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court for allegedly robbing one Mr. Isaiah Okeimen of his possessions in his house.
The accused: Rasak Lawal, 20; Ahmed Akogun, 19, and Friday Johnson, 18, are facing two-count charge of conspiracy and armed robbery.
The accused residents of Ojo area of Lagos pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The prosecutor, Insp. Simeon Imhonwa, had earlier told the court that the accused committed the offence with others still at large, at about 1.30 a.m. on December 24, 2016 at Unity Crescent, Igbede town, Ojo, Lagos.
Imhonwa alleged that the trio stole $2,650, seven iPhones, one laptop, and a wrist watch, all valued at N3. 2m.
According to him, the accused were apprehended by security guards in the early hours of the day and in their possession were knife, cutlasses and planks.
“The complainant had raised alarm that robbers had invaded his house which alerted the security guards.
“The accused persons were eventually arrested, while the other accomplices escaped,” he said.
The offences contravened sections 295 and 297 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised). The section provides up to 21 years’ imprisonment if convicted.
The Chief Magistrate, Mrs. B.O. Osunsanmi, granted the accused persons bail in the sum of N500,000 each, with two sureties each in like sum.
Osunsanmi said the sureties must be a blood relation and a community leader and should provide evidence of two years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
She adjourned the case till July 11 for mention.