Five suspects from Zamfara and Kebbi states, who were arrested for engaging in examination malpractices during the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, have been jailed for periods between three months and two years.
JAMB disclosed this in its bulletin released on Sunday, adding that 123 other suspects were standing trial across the country.
The 2019 UTME took place between April 11 and April 18 in 698 CBT centres nationwide.
In its bulletin on Sunday, the board said, “Five persons who were involved in one form of exam malpractice in the just concluded 2019 UTME have been convicted. As of Sunday, three suspects from Zamfara State and two from Kebbi have been convicted for periods of three months to two years.
“No fewer than 123 suspects are standing trial in various courts on one form of infraction or the other. With the conviction of the five suspects, the board urges the judiciary to continue on this path and to ensure that all suspects arraigned with sufficient facts are convicted.”
Meanwhile, the JAMB Registrar, Prof Is-haq Oloyede in an interview on Sunday said the delay in the release of the UTME results was due to the biometric verification of UTME candidates nationwide, adding that 31 states had already been screened.
He said, “If you know that we have about 1.8million candidates and multiplied by 10 fingers. That is what we are talking about. If you are very close to the National Identity Management Commission, ask them what it takes to analyse fingers in terms of period.
“We have done 31 states and six states (including Abuja) are still not completed.”
On the day the UTME results will be released, the registrar said, “I don’t know but it will be very soon. It will be as soon as we complete what we are doing.”