Apologies to anyone who’s spent hours crafting a detailed theory that Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s royal baby is already here, but Buckingham Palace just made a rare statement that basically told everyone to chill out.
In an interview with CBS News on Thursday morning, May 2, the institution denied rumors that Markle had already given birth and confirmed that the child “hasn’t been born yet.”
The update comes after weeks of jam-packed speculation: Last Friday the Internet went nuts when reports emerged of an ambulance spotted near Frogmore Cottage, where the Duke and Duchess of Sussex live. Some thought it meant that the big moment had finally come and Markle had gone into labor, but many changed their minds when they saw that Prince Harry was out and about in London alongside his sister-in-law, Kate Middleton. He recently offered another hint by announcing a trip to the Netherlands on May 8 and 9, leading people to think that his kid will be born before then.
Still, questions have lingered—but this is the first firm “no baby” we’ve received from Buckingham Palace, which has been quiet about the whole situation. We did hear from the palace in early April, when representatives shared that, to the chagrin of eager fans, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry want their baby news to remain private until they’re ready to share.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very grateful for the goodwill they have received from people throughout the United Kingdom and around the world as they prepare to welcome their baby,” the statement said. “Their Royal Highnesses have taken a personal decision to keep the plans around the arrival of their baby private. The duke and duchess look forward to sharing the exciting news with everyone once they have had an opportunity to celebrate privately as a new family.”
Unfortunately, the new Buckingham Palace update doesn’t give us any other details. Looks like everyone is going to have to keep scouring every corner of the Internet for potential clues.